• February 29, 2024
 Majority of consumers remain happy to witness will remotely

Majority of consumers remain happy to witness will remotely

New research has revealed that, despite the pandemic being firmly in the rear-view mirror, the majority of consumers remain happy to accept video witnessing of a will.

The government’s Covid-era legislation permitting the video witnessing of wills has been extended until at least January 2024. When asked by IRN Legal in November 2022 whether they are happy to accept this method for their own will, 62% said yes, with 38% objecting.

These results change depending on the age of the respondent. For example, just 44% of those 65 and over would be comfortable with video witnessing. Interestingly, in households with income of £100,000 or more 81% say that they would comfortable with video witnessing.

In conducting their study, IRN also asked consumers whether they’d be happy to have all consultations with their wills or probate adviser online. In a similar trend to the previous question, 63% said they’d be happy, with 37% preferring for such meetings to occur in person.

The age trend relating to video witnessing is also reflected here, with only 44% of those 65 and over wanting an online consultation. In contrast, 71% of 18-24-year-olds, 69% of 25-34-year-olds, and 72% of 35-44-year-olds would be happy with online consultations.

More adults in higher income households would also be satisfied with an online consultation. For example, 78% in households with an income of £60,000 o £79,999, and 85% in households with £100,000 or more.

With regards to court proceedings, almost half (47%) would be comfortable with them taking place online if they were just as effective as a physical court, leaving a small majority (53%) who would want to see court proceedings continue in the traditional way.

Interest in remote consultations and court hearings (%)

Jamie Lennox, Editor, Today's Wills and Probate

Editor of Today's Conveyancer, Today's Wills and Probate, and Today's Family Lawyer Contact LinkedIn jamie.lennox@todaysmedia.co.uk Twitter