federal transfer certificates

Federal Transfer Certificates: What you need to know

In the USA, a Federal Transfer Certificate is required to deal with assets that were owned by non-US citizens/residents and worth over $60,000 at the date of death. This includes selling or transferring shareholdings and closing bank accounts.

In their informative blog, Title Research answers frequently asked questions about the process of obtaining a Federal Transfer Certificate. More specifically, it answers:

  • What is a Federal Transfer Certificate?
  • What is the requirement for a Federal Transfer Certificate?
  • How do I obtain a Federal Transfer Certificate?
  • What documentation is required for a successful submission?
  • How long does an application take?
  • How does this impact the UK Inheritance Tax return?

Click here to read the blog.

Title Research provides a range of genealogical research and asset repatriation services for legal professionals. Their services are designed to streamline the estate administration process, take the effort out of locating the correct people or assets, and mitigate the risk of future disputes or complications. If you have any questions about genealogical research, asset repatriation, or how you can work with Title Research, call them on 0345 87 27 600 or email info@titleresearch.com.

This article was submitted to be published by Title Research as part of their advertising agreement with Today’s Wills and Probate. The views expressed in this article are those of the submitter and not those of Today’s Wills and Probate.

Read more stories

Join over 6,000 wills and probate practitioners – Check back daily for all the latest news, views, insights and best practice and sign up to our e-newsletter to receive our weekly round up every Friday morning. 

You’ll receive the latest updates, analysis, and best practice straight to your inbox.